In 1886, the Institute introduced clay modeling, china painting, water color painting, and oil painting. By 1891, five three-year courses were in operation in the following subjects: mechanical course, architectural course, course in design, art course, and normal course for teachers. Each lead to a certificate.
In 1893, Industrial Arts, Fine Arts, and Mechanic Arts were organized into the Department of Industrial and Fine Arts. They moved into the newly constructed Eastman in 1901, giving them more space, and as a result, the Department of Industrial and Fine Arts was divided into three entities: Department of Industrial and Fine Arts; the Department of Mechanic Arts & Sciences; and the Department of Manual Training.
-Find out what the downtown Eastman building looked like by clicking the link